Thursday, June 23, 2005

To Market To Market


Rambutans Posted by Hello

Keesokan harinya, the insatiable and critical kiasu factor in all of us found a less than satisfactory breakfast spread at the buffet table. So there goes New Pakupakis* reputation. Of we went to town and looked for the old pasar. Asked a policeman, and he directed us to BBK. Bazaar Buluh Kubu ( Read: Bazaar Bakar Kocek). We went there on a different mood than the years before because Nefertiti had told me that the most expensive embroidered tudung should not cost me anymore than RM35.
Wah, all of them were tagged RM45 or higher. Last year the USP was bawal nombor 1 and sulam goyang. This time it's sulam berlapis and the distinction between bawal korea and bawal jepun. Bah! Everywhere we went, people knew we were Singaporeans, no matter how I insisted that I am a fellow Malaysian. When I attempted Kelate-speak, everything came out with a Utara twang. Hancoq! It was mush more difficult to haggle the prices this time around. How to bring down a RM75 tudung to RM25?
Susah macamana pun, I managed 8 tudung bawal, 3 cottony Donatellos and one slip-on scarf. A walk down the shop houses got me a couple of baju kurung fabric. Went around the wet market geared with just "Hok ni bapo ghiaa?" and got myself some gula nira, assam gelugor and them juicy rambutans.
Oh how I love the rambutans. I can eat a whole guni of them all by myself. Hands down.
Acah je, I bought just 1 kilo for duo ghiaa. Ok what?

No comments: