Friday, September 16, 2005

Day Out with the Sunshine Gang



Bapak had to go for a checkup at Alexandra Hospital, and I managed to persuade CA to take a half-day off yesterday. So we packed the brood for a day out. We had planned to go to Sentosa at first, but since I have arranged to meet my cousin in Woodlands in the evening, we labak-ed at the club instead. While waiting for Bapak to get his stuff done, we had lunch at the famous Everton Boneless Chicken Rice joint at Queenstown. Waaaaa...sedap sehh! I marveled at the skills of the masterchef at removing the bones out of the sharp end of the wings. The chilli sauce, sap fan hou sek wor!!! Senang cakap, New Hawa pun kalah! Rex pun tergugat! But the only snag is that the place is so jammed packed at lunch hour, you'd be served just when you are on the verge of upturning the table. What made it harder was the fact that the neighbouring stall sold really exotic Chinese fare, Peking duck, a smorgasbord of cured meatstuff, char siew and get this, live frogs! There was a big cage of those big fat slimy amphibians a few steps from our table, singing some off-key number a capella. Gosh! my mom would probably freak out and swear off Singapore altogether if she sees this. Aishah on the other hand was making conversations with them. Ewww...
After lunch, Bapak was still not done, so we headed to Ikea for the free coffee and a little dessert. Packed some Swedish ginger biscuits, toffee lollies and, whooops, truffles. Ok, ok, not for me lah, I am a GI Jane whaaaaat? I am meeting my Cape Malay foster parents, Bapak Ismail Petersen and Ibu Hawa tonight, so perhaps they might like them munchies. Depa tak nak pun takpa...Heh heh. Will blog about them soon.
Later, we picked my inlaws' up from the hospital and headed towards Seletar Air Base, my favourite place in Singapore. It kinda reminds me of Butterworth, Penang. I really love it there. Maybe someday I'd be lucky enough to live in a single storey pre-Merdeka bungalows, who knows eh? The streets there are named after various locations in London. The tiny roundabout is called the Picadilly Circus, there's Edgware Road, Baker Street etc etc. If you like period movies, you'd definitely like Seletar.
Aishah and Abah ad a great time splashing about in the pool. Mak shared with me stories of the times when she used to be an Army Sargeant, and tales of her childhood. I really treasure moments like this. Bapak kept to himself at one corner, his legs are giving him problems lately. Poor Bapak. I hope he enjoyed getting some fresh air while watching CA relive his youth. Mak says that Bapak was the one who taught everyone how to swim. Now CA is teaching our daughter. Definite Kodak moment this one.
Later we headed to(panjang story lagi ni, ni bukan atenahism dah ni, ni nazrahism) Sembawang Satay Club for dinner since my cousin is still stuck in the jam at the checkpoint. Ya ampun, saya tak rekemen makan kat sini. Nuff said.
After settling my mom's orders with my cousin, we headed home. Lepak! Penat! Flat! Kondem!Pancit! But definitely worthwhile because I was in the company of the people I love. Will do this again soon.
Oh by the way, Ayu is leaving for SF today, she will be meeting up with Ely this weekend! We'll see how that turns out. Word is ,Ayu is making Laksa Penang, she is bringing assam keping all the way from home.
Tomorrow CA's site is closed for the Moon Cake Festival. Yeay! We will go out again!
I got a box of really huge Raffles Town Club mooncakes in the kitchen yet I do not know if they are halaal. Does anybody know? Well, I don't really like eggwashed cakes anyway...and the yolky one are not so sedap pun...Sour grape!

No comments: