Monday, September 05, 2005

Mak Sayang

Dearest Mak,
It must have been hard for you to leave me behind back then. I now know how difficult it can get to part with the baby that you have carried for 9 gruelling months, only to be separated from you not long after you've only held her for 3 months. I can't even bear the thought of Aishah not sleeping in the same room with me for one miserable night. But you had no other choice, and it is not my place to question your decision.
I now know that you've had to do it for the sake of my survival. Life for you as a student in your early 20s was hard enough at the time, what with the challenges undergraduate studies, as newlyweds at that, being away from home and all. It was difficult even for you to have a proper meal on the table, what more provide for a baby. I am not bitter anymore, because now I know better. I wrote this for you some time ago, to tell you that I can see things better now.
Kepulanganmu
dikira boleh mengubat rindu
separuh gila berendam sendu
berjauhan dengan aku
disambut gerombolan bengis
mematikan bunga pencak langkahmu
pecah impian merangkul puteri
terbit dan menegang urat serikandi
tak dijemput masuk disua penumbuk
Kau yang tak ku kenali
mengapa kau datang sini
seolah mahu membawaku lari
jauh dari konco-koncoku ini
si comot berlari lari
dalam tempayan ia bersembunyi
setelah lama dicari-cari
disental bersih bersabun mandi
Dalam bingung ada cemas
istana aku dibungkus kemas
meronta-ronta aku yang lemas
dirangkul dipeluk ketat dan kemas
macam kambing takut terlepas
Tika itu ku duniaku berpusing-pusing
konco-konco bengis amarah makin melenting
aku kau bawa jua ke tempat asing
Menitik air mata wanita itu
yang ku kenal sebagai ratu
parah terpanah bisa lidahmu
dari itu aku tutup pintu hatiku
takkan ada ruang buatmu
menagih kasih dan simpatiku
tak terbiasa dengan gerak langkahmu
hingga kini kau sangat asing bagiku
Bila aku sendiri yang melahirkan
naluri yang aneh tapi mengasyikkan
baru terhampar cerita yang membenarkan
gagahnya serikandi bila kasih berantakan
dikala senja baru kesampaian
ampunkanlah aku si budak comot
tangan diikat kepala dipasung
diracun-racun fikiran kolot
menafikan matamu cahaya yang sulung
Baru jelas hikayat pedang dan panah
naluri aneh srikandi barirah
dari sudut pandangan nazrah
I had a vivid dream a few days ago. I dreamt that I was out with Baya (my sis), looking frantically for you, we were on a beach somewhere, suddenly the sky went so dark as if someone turned out the lights. I just remembered that we managed to round up everyone yet you were not in the picture at all. I remember running and running until I woke up sweating only to realize it was just an ugly dream. And a day after that I got a message from Baya that our mother has a greater battle to fight, with a new recurrence your lungs, reportedly progressive. We are praying hard that it won't get to your blood stream, bones and brain. I was crushed upon hearing the latest about you before I went back to see you. But quickly changed my mind, when I saw your sweet, sweet smile.
It is amazing that you were the one who had the rights words to reassure me, and how unperturbed you look, as if nothing was seriously wrong inside your body while I had to fight back tears as not to spoil the mood. It is so apparent who's the stronger person here. I guess you will be okay. I am reminded of Uja's words, that all of us ought to celebrate your life, make the best of the time we have with you and not think about losing our loved ones. That's just, plainly, not our business to poke out cute lil noses in. I could see how cancer has brought our family closer, and altered our set of beliefs that there are things we cannot change and control. But we can always make the best with what we have. Allah has big plans. Great big plans for the people that He loves.
So today, let's celebrate your life, Mak. You are positivity personified. The story of your life may not always be sugarcoated, but you've always come out valiant and triumphant. Happy Birthday, Mak sayang. May Allah bless us all with a lifetime of good things and a grander life in the Hereafter. The Grand Design is a meticulous one, but there is a light. May we all find that light. Amin.

No comments: